Black seeds or Nigella Sativa has been used over the centuries, since the pharaohs in Egypt, and also in other places in the Middle East, Mediterranean and India. The prophet Mohammad seemingly said that the black seeds could cure anything but death itself. Black seeds are one of the most medicinal plants known to man; its healing properties are due to the fact that it contains over 100 chemical compounds. In addition to what is believed to be the primary active ingredient, crystalline nigellone, black cumin seeds contain: thymoquinone, beta sitosterol, myristic acid, palmitic acid, palmitoleic acid, stearic acid, oleic acid, linoleic acid, linolenic acid, arachidonic acid, protein, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, folic acid, calcium, iron, copper, zinc, and phosphorous.
Black cumin extract is anti-hypertensive, carminative and anti-parasitic.
- Black cumin is used to treat diseases related to the respiratory system, circulatory and immune system, stomach and intestines, kidneys and even the liver.
- The seeds have been known to prove effective in fighting parasitic infections, asthma, bronchitis, rheumatism and cold symptoms.
- They also provide health benefits like increasing body tone, stimulating menstrual period, increasing milk production in nursing mothers and increasing the flow of breast milk.
- Black cumin seed oil calms the nervous system, quells colic pain, stimulates excretion of urine, helps petrussis and improves digestion.
- Black caraway stimulates body’s energy and helps in recovering from fatigue and dispiritedness.
- It provides an effective cure for skin conditions such as allergies, eczema, acne, psoriasis and boils.
- Black cumin oil encourages the production of bone marrow and cells of the immune system, increases the production of interferon, protects normal cells from the damaging effects of viral diseases, destroys tumor cells and increases the number of antibody producing B cells.
- Black cumin contains potent sexual hormones, stimulants, digestive enzymes, antacids, and sedatives; all of which help boost the immune system and preempt diseases.
- The seeds contain beta-sitosterol – an anti-tumor sterol. They are very effective in curing abscesses and tumors of the eye, abdomen and liver.
- Black caraway seeds are also used to treat flatulence, diarrhea, hemorrhoids, constipation and dysentery.
- A teaspoon of black cumin seed oil, when mixed with honey and consumed regularly during breakfast, lunch and dinner, results in good health and strong immunity to diseases.
- The seeds, when taken in capsulated form, help in strengthening hair as well as nails.
NOTE: Those who decide to use black cumin seed oil should check labels and product information carefully. Black cumin is commonly referred to as black seed oil, black onion seed, black caraway, black sesame seed, and other names, but only Nigella sativa is true black cumin.