Raw honey is the concentrated nectar of flowers that comes straight from the extractor; it is the only unheated, pure, unpasteurized, unprocessed honey.
A lot of honey found in the supermarket is not raw honey but “commercial” regular honey, which has been pasteurized (heated at 70 degrees Celsius or more, followed by rapid cooling) and filtered so that it looks cleaner and smoother and easier to handle and package. Pasteurization kills any yeast cell in the honey and prevents fermentation. It also slows down the speed of crystallization in liquid honey. Although, when honey is heated, its delicate aromas, yeast and enzymes which are responsible for activating vitamins and minerals in the body system are partially destroyed. Therefore, raw honey is more nutritious than regular honey.
Raw honey has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties. It promotes body and digestive health, is a powerful antioxidant, strengthens the immune system, eliminates allergies, and is an excellent remedy for skin wounds and all types of infections. Raw honey can also stabilize blood pressure, balance sugar levels, relieve pain, calm nerves, and it has been used to treat ulcers.
Raw honey can also be used as an expectorant and anti-inflammatory and has been known to effectively treat some respiratory conditions, like bronchitis and asthma.
How to use Raw Honey
– Mix a spoon of raw honey and fresh squeezed lemon juice and take as needed to soothe a sore throat and ease cough symptoms.
– Before a workout, take a spoonful of raw honey as energy booster to improve athletic performance.
– Treat minor scrapes, cuts and burns. Clean the area and apply a small amount over the injury and wrap it as normal. Change once daily until is healed, the raw honey will also help reduce scar formation.
– Mix raw honey, sugar and sweet almond oil and make a wonderful homemade sugar scrub for your face. Your skin will feel wonderful.
– Honey can be used for the hair as a clarifying and conditioning treatment. Coat your hair and let it sit for 10 minutes before washing. This will make your hair look beautiful and smooth.
– As a natural sleep remedy, just take a spoon before bed time, either pure or added to a cup of hot tea, this will help you relax and sleep better.
– Massage a tea spoon of honey on your face and leave it for about 30 minutes. A honey mask can help improve skin tone, reduce redness and smooth your skin.