This low calorie, starchy vegetable is high in foliate a half cup serving contains about 50% of the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA). It is also a rich source of the antioxidant vitamins A and C and of potassium, and electrolyte that maintains proper fluid balance, helps to transmit nerve impulses, and is needed for proper muscle function and metabolism.
Health benefits of Okra
Okra is rich in B-complex group of vitamins like niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin and pantothenic acid. The pods also contain good amounts of vitamin K, which is a co-factor for blood clotting enzymes and is required for strengthening of bones.
- They provide just 30 calories per 100 g and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol
- The pods contain healthy amounts of vitamin A, and flavonoid anti-oxidants such as beta carotenes, xanthin and lutein. It is one of the green vegetables with highest levels of these anti-oxidants. Vitamin A is required for maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin, and its properties are essential for vision. Consumption of natural vegetables and fruits rich in flavonoids helps to protect from lung and oral cavity cancers.
- Okra is also rich in B-complex group of vitamins like niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin and pantothenic acid. The pods are also rich in Vitamin K, a co-factor for blood clotting enzymes and is required for strengthening of bones.
- It is also a good source of many important minerals such as iron, calcium, manganese and magnesium.
- And it acts helping reduce cholesterol, due to its pectin content.
Do your own research and you will find out many other benefits of this vegetable and simple ways to add it to your diet.
Your health is your wealth !!!!
To get you started, here is an Easy Roasted Okra Recipe (makes 3 servings):
18 fresh okra pods, sliced 1/3 inch thick
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons Himalayan Sea Salt, or to taste
2 teaspoons black pepper, or to taste
- Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F
- Arrange the okra slices in one layer on a foil lined cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes.